Rene Schillinger has been an avid traveler since his childhood. As the son of two parents that immigrated from Europe, he has had the privilege of being able to see the world. Travelling can be an exhilarating experience, but it can also be dangerous and scary. When you are setting off for an adventure in another part of the world, it is important to stay safe. Here are five important safety tips to keep you safe during your travels.
- Always check with the state department before heading out. The state department provides updated safety information for every country in the world. They can provide you with travel warnings, local laws, and required vaccinations.
- Review the escape route in your hotel room. If an emergency arises in the middle of the night, you’ll be glad you took the time to look.
- Leave an itinerary with someone back home and check in with them every day. This way if something happens they can alert the authorities.
- Email a copy of your passport to yourself and save a photo of it on your cell phone. It will be much easier to get a replacement if it is stolen.
- Keep your cash and valuables out of sight. Keep some spending money easily accessible so you aren’t showing off a big wad of cash every time you pay.